Necklace of Stones: a memoir of poetry and place
Poet and artist Alice Lee retraces her life in Alaska, China, Italy, Washington and elsewhere, reinventing herself and refusing to be defined by her genetic inheritance. While the family illnesses of schizophrenia and ataxia are the stones that weight her shoulders, Lee wears the necklace with grace. She travels, teaches, raises two daughters, creates art, finds love and writes of houses, floods and sex as part of her personal mythology. Hers is a vision of the whole woman with a past, a voice, responsibilities and an open heart.
HC ISBN: 9781939604-217 ($24.95; 188 pages; 5x8”)
PB ISBN: 99781939604-200 ($14.95; 188 pages; 5x8”)
Publication Date: March 2015
Interest Level: Adult readers
Key Words: Memoir, Poetry, Ataxia, Alaska, China, Italy, Pacific Northwest, Women’s Voices.
Reviews and Notes from Readers:
In this mixed genre tour de force of memoir and poetry, exquisite with rich detail and innerness, Lee’s Necklace of Stones explores the intimate relationships of her life with a courage and poignancy that allows tremendous healing, acceptance and transformation as she discovers and continually reinvents herself. Alice Lee makes us laugh and cry as she lives her deepest, passionate life into the very heart of soul making.
– Jane Lipman, author of On the Back Porch of the Moon, winner of the 2013 New Mexico/Arizona Book Award for Poetry Book, and the 2013 NM Press Women’s Award.
- More reviews coming soon.
- Share your own review.
2015: Book Tour News
- February 12, Art Exhibit at The Pond House, Milwaukie Ledding Library, OR
- March 07, Healing through Writing at National Ataxia Foundation’s 58th AMM, Denver, CO
- May 03, New Mexico Launch at Teatro Paraguas, 3205 Calle Marie, Santa Fe, NM
- May 07, Reading at Bookworks, 4022 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM
- May 09, Reading at Moby Dickens, 124 A Bent Street, Taos, NM
- June 16, Reading at Third Place Books, 17171 Bothell Way NE, Lake Forest Park, WA
- June 17, Reading at Village Books, 1200 11th St, Bellingham, WA